Post Response (Restricted)

Re: holding it longer

Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  December 06, 2001 at 19:27:00

In Reply to: holding it longer
Posted by:  Donna
Posted on:  December 06, 2001 at 17:17:48

Question:

: I have a female JRT that will be a year old on Jan. 1st...a millenium Jack. I am happy to say she is about 97% house broken. I don't remember the last accident she has had but I am not ready to trust her 100% yet. My question is this. While I am out or at work she is confined in her crate. I leave for work at 8:30 and return at 3:30. This means she holds it for atleast 7 hours because she WILL NOT soil her crate. When I get home and she is out and about she comes to me EVERY 2-3 hours wanting to go outside. I would think she could hold it atleast 4-5 hours given the time she holds it in the crate. I do schedule her water and will continue to do so until I am 100% certain she is fully housebroken. So, I don't think it is a matter of her drinking excessive water. She is very active and I know exercise speeds up the bathroom process in dogs. Is there a way to cut back on her bathroom trips and to get her to hold it longer. By the end of the day when all is said and done she makes approx. 6-8 bathroom trips. I have also had her kidneys and bladder checked and she is very healthy. I would like to cut back, any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Donna,
What you are describing in your girl sounds very normal. In my opinion, she should be let out to go whenever she needs to. Just because she is capable of holding it 5 plus hours, doesn't mean she can or should have to every time. It may put undue strain on her body and elimination systems.
My husband and I once got caught in Cleveland in a blizzard. We made it back to southern Ohio some 13 hours later, and neither of our terriers had soiled in their crates. So, I know they CAN hold it 13 hours. I would NEVER ask them to do this purposely. This is a very extreme example, but I think it illustrates my point. I won't go into how wired they were after all that time!
Heather