Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Housebreaking...

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  December 17, 2001 at 20:11:53

In Reply to: Housebreaking...
Posted by:  Marina Claxton
Posted on:  December 16, 2001 at 23:44:55

Question:

: Our JRT Jersey is 2 1/2 and will go to our back door when he needs to go, but he will take FOREVER to go. HE walks the bow-legged walk like he has to go, but will change his mind and sniff around for the perfect spot to pee. This can go on for a good 20 minutes and then he will head back indoors, I go about my business then turn the corner and see a pile of poop in the hall. How do I train him to 1) go right away, and 2) to "kill two birds" in one trip?

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Dear Marina,

So many smells, so little time! As often happens, these dogs can get distracted from their original purpose for going outside. And yes, it's a real pain in the neck when it's cold or rainy outside.

You need to take him out on a leash so you control where he wanders. Urge him to "go potty" and then praise him when he does. If after 10 minutes he has not gone potty, bring back in the house, confine him in his crate for 15 minutes or so and then take him back out. Repeat the procedure until he does his business.

You will have to be patient and consistent with the training. If you are free-feeding him, consider giving him specific meals (AM and PM) so you can better gauge when he needs to poop.

Good luck,
Leslie