Post Response (Restricted)

Re: Behavior regression -urinating/defecating/snapping

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  December 19, 2001 at 17:19:11

In Reply to: Behavior regression -urinating/defecating/snapping
Posted by:  Tammy
Posted on:  December 18, 2001 at 18:32:47

Question:

: About 2 months ago my 5.5 year old jrt Hannah began exhibiting signs of increasing possessiveness and jealousy towards anyone who got near me (snapping, growling,. I checked here, read some tips and am trying to handle it. About two weeks ago, Hannah began using the various beds in the house as her bathroom - the guest room, both twin beds in my stepsons' room, and today our bed. The only thing that has changed in her life is that about 2 months ago I began transitioning her from our bed to her own bed in our room. Everything else is still the same -walks, exercise, my schedule, etc. Some nights are better than others, but when she tries to get into our bed I tell her to go to her bed. About 90% of the time she does - the other 10% she either whines for several more minutes or leaves the room.

: Help! I don't know what to do. I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong or not understanding what's wrong with her. I've read the posts on bed wetting and didn't seem to find one that addressed this. Any help you can provide is very much appreciated. Thanks.

: Tammy

------------------ Response Area -------------------
Hi Tammy,

The very first thing I would do is take Hannah to the vet to rule out any physical problem she might be having such as cystitis.

One thing you need to do is keep Hannah confined to one area. You must keep her out of the bedrooms, if she can't get in them to do her business on them at least you won't be doing a constant load of laundry.

Make sure that you treat all the articles she has soiled with Nature's Miracle. I believe there is even directions on how to use it in the laundry. Dogs will continue to re-soil areas if they can still smell previous smells and as you know just tossing things into the laundry doesn't necessarily mean SHE can't still smell it. Make sure you don't use bleach first and then try the enzymatic cleaner, use the enzymatic cleaner period.

If you are free feeding her stop. Only feed her once or break her daily amount of food into two meals. This way you have better control over when she needs to eliminate. You may have to ration her water but talk with your vet before taking this step.

There is going to be a battle of the wills, one of which you need to win. If you have to keep her thethered to you while you are at home and either gate off the bedrooms or close their doors. You may have to take some steps backwards in the housebreaking department and start to put her back on a schedule.

If all else fails, ask your vet for the name of a behaviorist/trainer that might be able to give you some additional help.

Good Luck!
Marie