Re: BATHING

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 02, 2002 at 07:54:34

In Reply to: BATHING
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Carmel
Posted on:  February 02, 2002 at 07:46:46

Question:

: We bathe our jack at least every two weeks to keep him smelling nice, is this too much and how often should a jack be bathed. Also is it safe to feed them raw chicken necks and wings?

Response:
-
Hi Carmel,

You are bathing your JRT way too much! Too much bathing will lead to dry coats and skin and can cause your terrier to develop a bad case if itching. None of us here recommend bathing your terrier that much. Many of us only bathe our dogs when they have rolled in something bad. My two probably only get a bath a few times in a year (gotta get the deer poop off)and I have to say mine never have that "doggy odor" that other breeds seem to have. I can't remember the last time I bathed Brody and you can put your nose right into his fur and he smells good.

Keep bathing for when your JRT gets really funky, if it's just dirt that can even just be hosed off, leave the shampooing for bigger jobs.

As far as your other question, I do know that people do feed their dogs raw chicken necks and wings and their dogs seem to handle that well. I think in the beginning it takes their systems awhile to adjust to it. I personally don't give mine any, instead I feed raw marrow bones (that have been frozen first). I don't know if the people that feed raw chicken freeze them first and then thaw them out or what. That's something you will need to ask them.

Regards,
Marie

Additional Reading: Food/Bones FAQ