Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 06, 2002 at 09:05:51

In Reply to: Fleas & Ticks
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  angela low
Posted on:  February 05, 2002 at 22:05:21

Question:

: Hi,
: I am wondering, is it common that dogs have fleas and ticks?
: Can u explain how they come about and what causes them to multiply on the dog's body.
: How can I check if my JRT is suffering from this problem and if he is found to have this problem, what shld I do to eliminate it?
: I read the past advice given, shampoo, 'Frontline' is very effective... may I know how to use them?
: what other method besides this?

: Thanks & Regards

Response:
-
Hi Angela,

Anywhere there are fleas and ticks and a dog isn't protected against them, you can expect to find some on your dog.

Fleas will lay eggs on your dog and that's how they multiply, and they can also lay eggs anywhere the dog has been which means you can get a very nasty flea infestation inside your home.

As far as fleas go it will be really apparent if your dog has them as he will be scratching like crazy. Fleas like to migrate to certain areas of a dogs body, such as near his rear-end and towards the head. If you find little black "dirt" on him, take some of that "dirt" and put it on a paper towel and then moisten it. If it's flea dirt it will turn red because it's actually blood. You can purchase a flea comb and comb through your dog. Fleas can run fast through a dog's hair so looking for flea "dirt" is your best indication along with the constant scratching your dog will do.

Ticks are a bit more tricky because dogs don't scratch as much with them. They also tend to migrate closer to the neck and head area but in order to find them you will have to search the dog over thoroughly. Ticks are usually attached and therefore are easier to spot.

Both can be controlled with topicals like Frontline which is what I use on my dogs. I don't care for the flea/tick baths as the chemicals in those are pretty harsh. Frontline is applied between the shoulder blades of the dog and you must make sure it makes contact with the skin. It's very simple to use, takes only a few seconds to apply and for fleas should last about 3 months. With ticks it doesn't last as long so you will need to reapply as necessary. And that all depends on where you live. If you live in a colder climate and you get enough hard freezes you should be able to take a break with applying until spring.

Regards,
Marie