• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

stopping bad behavior

Posted by:  Gale Bamman
Category:   Aggression
Posted on:  February 06, 2002 at 22:25:22

Question:

We got a "rescued" JRT last Friday. He's 6 1/2 months old and is housebroken and has been neutered. We were told he'd been tied to a kitchen table leg and then on a chain when outside, that he'd been kicked by the owner and abused by their two 8-10 year old boys. We thought we could give Eddie love, and he would grow to trust us. It's not happening yet. He's very loving except when he thinks we are trying to take his toy from him (and all we are doing is crossing the floor some six-eight feet away from him). He growls and then lunges with his teeth bared. The way I've handled this so far is to take a broom and let him try to annihilate the broom while I, with heavy leather gloves on, take the toy and put it out of his sight. He then returns to the docile, loving Eddie. Trouble is, we never know when to expect this behavior. Tonight he got my Blistex from beside my bed and when I told him no and bent down to get it from him, he lunged for my neck, biting and growling. I got out the broom and got the Blistex. I've NEVER spanked him or said anything any stronger than "No!" Why is he doing this and how can I teach him he can trust US?
Thank you for any help you can be