Re: Killing toys

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 16, 2002 at 14:09:25

In Reply to: Killing toys
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Rebecca
Posted on:  February 15, 2002 at 13:45:51

Question:

: I've read many posts on this board suggesting Kongs and Nylabones as safe toys for our little "angels," but I'm not sure if my question has ever been precisely addressed.

: Brutus KILLS toys - doesn't much matter what kind - stuffed, rubber, hard plastic, they're dead - all over my carpet. Aside from being a pain the neck, I know it is not healthy for him to ingest pieces of toys, but that's where my question comes in I don't see much danger in killing stuffed toys do you let them do that?

: Or do you have any other suggestions of toys other than Kongs or Nylabones that are a little safer and less messy. I just really like Brutus to have a wide variety of things to play with (his latest love - and who knows why - is a particular rubber squeaky ball he plays with it to the point of exhaustion, but for some reason has NOT tried to kill it yet) - my SO doesn't like the mess all over the place.

: Thanks!

Response:
-
Hi Rebecca,

I have a terrier much like your Brutus. Brody hasn't met a toy he didn't like and destroy in 5 minutes or less! He seldom gets many of the ones he can detroy so quickly. That's mainly due to how much it ends up costing to give him these toys just to see them ruined so quickly. My other terrier still has toys from his puppy days and he will be 8 in July.

Here are some toys I provide to "The Terminator", Gumabone Hercules bones (they are for aggressive chewers), Kongs, Galileo Bones, Booda Plaque Attacker rope bones, you can also try Wufer balls (these are large hard plastic balls that are partially filled with sand) or Jolly balls.

Keep in mind I buy the LARGE size in many of these toys. If you buy a toy that is geared for the size of the JRT, many times the dog will just anniliate them in a nano-second. As far as the Wufer ball, if you get one large enough that he can't get his jaws around it all he can really do is push it around. Kongs should be LARGE ones, the same with the Hercules and Galileo bones.

If I let Brody play with a stuffed toy, I am there to supervise. You never know if they are going to end up ingesting some of the stuffings and you have to also be careful to make sure there are like "google eyes" and plastic noses that can be swallowed.

Brody may get the opportunity to disembowel a stuffed toy maybe twice a year. He doesn't seem to miss them, if they aren't around, they just aren't around.

So for Brutus, I would have to say "size matters" ;)

Good Luck and Happy Toy Buying!
Marie