Re: Kenneling worry

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  February 18, 2002 at 17:12:04

In Reply to: Kenneling worry
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Lois
Posted on:  February 17, 2002 at 12:35:37

Question:

: I need to kennel my 6 yr old Jack while on vacation for a week. I have owned the dog for 3 years and in that time, she has been left only with family members for a weekend at a time. That sitting arrangement isn't available for a whole week. My jack is aggressive with other dogs and cats so I can't ask anyone with a pet to take her. I feel so worried kenneling her. Is there cause for my concern? Thanks for any advice.

Response:

Dear Lois,

I understand your concern; no one likes the idea of leaving our beloved pets with strangers. There are several things you can do to make your terrier's stay more comfortable for her and thus, for you. :-)

Take your terrier to visit the kennel and introduce her to the staff at least once before you leave her there. This is also a good time to discuss her particular "quirks," inquire about what you can bring with her, fill out paperwork, etc.

Your terrier's "suitcase" should include a week's worth of food, some favorite toys and treats, her dog bed and a towel/blanket with your scent on it. Keep your good-bye short and upbeat; this is a vacation for her too!

Hope you both have a great time!
Leslie