Re: finding a home for a jack russell foster pup

Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  February 23, 2002 at 20:06:59

In Reply to: finding a home for a jack russell foster pup
Category:   Other
Posted by:  monica
Posted on:  February 23, 2002 at 12:04:12

Question:

: I have a JRT foster pup that will soon be old enough for adoption. I have 2 cats and another dog and don't think that it would be a good idea to keep the pup for ourselves (although this decision breaks my heart). I am determined to find a good home for Josie where she can live like a JRT and be happy as well as bring happiness to her new family. From what I read JRT's aren't bred to be "city dogs". I have several friends who live on farms with over 100 acres. My question is, would this be the place for her? Wouldn't she hunt and stray and possibly get lost or hurt in the process? How would they handle such an inquisitive dog and keep her safe and home?
: Thanks,
: Monica

Response:

Hi Monica,
Thank you for fostering this little one and for caring so much about finding her a good home. The concerns you have are good ones and VERY valid!
I would not place a dog in any situation where it was allowed to run loose. Additionally, leash-only situations rarely provide the kind of exercise a JRT needs. Russell Rescue requires a fenced yard, and IMO, this is one of the best rules Russell Rescue has in place. It was made a rule after extensive experiences from rescuers, because of the common reason JRTs are given up (not getting enough exercise) and the most common cause of death in dogs (getting hit by cars).
"A farm in the country" is a nice thought, but as you already reasoned, it can be a very dangerous one for a JRT. If you can find this kind of situation with someone home a good amount of the time, large, safely fenced areas to play in and where the dog will be supervised well, that's probably an ideal. A suburban home with a safely fenced yard and someone home often would be no less ideal. This is not a dog I would just let roam free (not that I would let ANY dog roam free, but that's another post!). Farms with tons of land are not exempt from traffic, property lines to cross or hunting dangers. JRTs can cross 100 acres in no time at all.
I'll give you a link for Russell Rescue information. Please feel free to use the questions on the adoption application to screen your homes. Contact your nearest representative. Ask them if they would be willing to share with you what they look for in a home. My guess is they will be happy to help, and also grateful for your help in caring for and placing Josie.
Good luck!
Heather

Additional Reading: JRTCA Russell Rescue