Re: Questions on Breeding Ages

Posted by:  Shannon Osby
Posted on:  March 13, 2002 at 12:33:02

In Reply to: Questions on Breeding Ages
Category:   Breeding
Posted by:  Sarah H.
Posted on:  March 13, 2002 at 10:42:58

Question:

: I thoroughly have been enjoying your site. My boyfriend and I just got a Jack Russell puppy & he is an absolute joy. We have talked about breeding, but are still not sure if that is a responsibility we want to take on. I have been reading the archives on ages for breeding and no where on your site have you mentioned the age when a male is acceptable to breed. I know this is a serious decision to make, but I was just wondering what the age was. Many people have asked you this same question & each time in your responses you avoid it and never give the answer. I would really appreciate an answer this time. I truly enjoy your site with all of the helpful info on raising my puppy, but if you aren't going to give me & your other devoted fans of JRT's an answer then I will just have to get it somewhere else. I don't find the other sites as competant but I am sure they would not just dismiss my questions. I hope to hear from you soon. Your anticipated response is greatly appreciated.

Response:

Males can reproduce before a year of age, but is not advisable. Now for acceptable breeding ages this would depend on individual breeders. First a dog should never be bred if that dog has not BAER tested and CERF tested.
Shannon

Additional Reading: Breeding FAQ