Re: little guy with the squirts

Posted by:  Rick Hemsing
Posted on:  March 22, 2002 at 23:26:09

In Reply to: little guy with the squirts
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Wendy
Posted on:  March 22, 2002 at 22:26:21

Question:

: We just got our 8 week old puppy two days ago, and he is wonderful. However, he did not seem to like the food we brought home from the pet store. I was told that it is what he is used to. I switched his food, and he gobbles up the new stuff... but now he has diaherra. Should I go back to the old food? Will the diaherra pass? Also, he has been sleeping a lot today... normal?
: Thanks, Wendy

Response:

Wendy -

Sometimes changing food can cause diarrhea. Dogs' systems can be sensitive to any dietary changes, so when changing to another food, it is helpful to mix small amounts of the new food with your terrier's current food. Gradually add more new food and decrease the amounts of the old food over a period of about a week. Soon your dog will be eating all new food with less likelihood of stomach upset.

Also, puppy's need their rest (especially when introduced into a new environment). I imagine everyone has been playing with him a lot over the past two days so he is most likely just tired. However, it might be prudent to discuss both issues with your vet just to be sure.

Good luck!

Rick