Re: Barking for attention??

Posted by:  Jane Colvin
Posted on:  March 24, 2002 at 18:55:39

In Reply to: Barking for attention??
Category:   Barking
Posted by:  Patrick
Posted on:  March 23, 2002 at 07:32:53

Question:

: Hi, I have a 1.5 yr old male JRT. He barks at my spouse just about everyday when he feels, I guess, that he's not getting enough attention. He knows it's wrong to bark at her and as soon as he does he'll run under the coffee table. She gives him a doggy spanking and that's that. We don't want to have to keep discipiling him this way and have contemplated about getting a muzzle for these times. He doesn't seem like he's going to stop anytime too soon. Any ideas what would cause this barking and is there a better way to discipline him? I'm not sure a muzzle for 10-15 mins after the barking is the answer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

: P.S.- He does try to bark at me once in awhile but I put him in-check and he seems to respond to me better than her.

Response:

Hi Patrick,

First I want to say that "spanking" is not the way to discipline a dog. You don't earn a dog's respect this way.

I'd suggest doing some training with him. He needs to know who is in charge and this can be done without physical discipline. Obedience class would be a good start.

Also, make sure he's getting plenty of exercise and attention. A dog that is bored and not getting enough mental and physical stimulation will let you know it. And while he is getting negative attention for the barking, it's still attention. Try to spend some extra time throwing a ball, playing, etc.

Good luck,

Jane Colvin