• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Recently Aggressive

Posted by:  John Crider
Category:   Aggression
Posted on:  April 02, 2002 at 11:42:57

Question:

I have a 6 year old JR. We got her when she was 8 weeks old and have loved her ever since. When she was a pup we worked very hard to get the "terror" out of the Terrier. One of her very bad habits was the defensive nature she took while on furniture. By constantly going to "bother" her, and placing her in a submissive position when she showed aggression we got her to act more family friendly. Until recently, the only time we had any problem was when she was josteled while sleeping (an understandable reaction).

Sunday my niece came over to greet my JR while the JR was on the couch. There was a growl, and before the girls mom could get a word out, the dog bit my niece on the face (breaking skin). I have since instituted a "no furniture" policy for the dog. I go up to her while she rests and get no reaction, but my kids still get a growl. I have a squirt bottle ready, but I am afraid to have her around kids.

I love my dog, but should I find a new home for her that is more suited to her temperment, or is there a way I can modify this behavior?

John