Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  April 02, 2002 at 17:12:49

In Reply to: Prick ears
Category:   Breed Standard
Posted by:  Helene Visentin
Posted on:  April 02, 2002 at 00:55:32

Question:

: Hi!

: My JR is now 7 months old and recently, one of his ear seems to be a "prick ear" (it stays straight). I am doing some research now to find out if the breeder where we got him is a good one, at least, if she was honest with us because she confirm us that the dog would meet the breed standards... and also, I would like to know if there is anything that we can do about it...If so, what? Is it possible that the second ear will do the same thing?

: thanks a lot!

: Helene Visentin

Response:

Hi Helene,

Many times during a pup's teething stage their ears will do some pretty wacky things. Most ears will eventually lay back down but if their is any prick ear dogs in the lines your breeder used it is very possible for them to crop up even some generations later.

Some dogs will end up with two prick ears and then there's the ones that have one up and one down. The only thing you would not be able to show your terrier in is conformation, all the rest of the activities offered at the terrier trials will make no difference if your dog's ears are up or down.

You will need to discuss the ear set with your breeder, if you have a contract stating that your dog will meet the breed standards this is something you will have to talk with her.

Just remember, regardless of ear set your little guy will love you just the same so unless you had your heart set on showing/breeding just enjoy him.

Regards,
Marie

Additional Reading: Prick Ears FAQ