Re: agression in agility and obedience classes

Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  April 04, 2002 at 10:23:28

In Reply to: agression in agility and obedience classes
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Linda Cunyus
Posted on:  April 03, 2002 at 12:12:34

Question:

: Please help! My female has become very agressive in both our obedience and agility classes. It is very embarrassing. Since she doesn't exhibit this behavior other places, I don't know how to discipline her correctly. The other dog owners are afraid she's going to attack their dogs (I can tell by the looks I get). Is there any secret way to calm her down? The rest of the time she's an angel.

Response:

Hi Linda,
You need to be working with your trainer very closely on this. I am surprised they haven't offered you some help already. They know your dog best, and should be able to offer you ways to work on it. If they are not qualified in these areas, find another trainer.
Until you can get this issue under control, avoid close-contact obedience exercises and do not take your dog off-lead.
The reason you are getting "looks" is fear. They are concerned about their dogs' safety, and you should be concerned for their dogs as well. If you do not take responsibility for your dog and she hurts another dog or person, it is your fault. Please do not risk it. Call your trainer today to set-up a plan for dealing with this problem, and talk about the long-term, what will happen if you can not get this problem under control.
Heather