Re: Crate Training

Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  April 11, 2002 at 15:00:05

In Reply to: Crate Training
Category:   House Breaking
Posted by:  Wendy
Posted on:  April 11, 2002 at 11:35:16

Question:

: Peanut is my 4 month old Jack Russell. While I am at work, he spends his time blocked off in the kitchen with pads and his crate. He does well using the pads and normally potties outside when we are home. I feel that it is necessary however, to break him from the pads and go outside only. The longest that he is alone is for 3-4 hours, and he gets plenty of exercise in the evenings. I would like to crate him during the day, but am concerned that he will reject the idea after becoming used to the kitchen as his playground. Because Jack Russells have so much energy, will crating him create a problem? He is so well-behaved and I feel part of that is due to his freedom to run and play in the kitchen when I am away. What are your thoughts/suggestions? I really want to do what's best for my Peanut. Thank you,
: Wendy

Response:

Hi Wendy,
I think you are right on track with your idea to get rid of the peepee pads. They are not helping your housebreaking efforts. I promise.
Crate training him is a great idea. Given his age, this period of time should be okay. I would work up to it, 30 minutes at a time. This will help him get used to his crate. I also feed my dogs in their crates, to make it an even more desirable place to be.
I doubt seriously the amount of activity he is getting while you are home is as much as you think. Most dogs sleep when we're not home. Just make sure he is getting plenty of exercise when you are home, and you won't have a problem leaving him for 3-4 hours.
Keep up the good work!
Heather