Re: Camping with my JRT

Posted by:  Heather Reid
Posted on:  April 17, 2002 at 17:12:11

In Reply to: Camping with my JRT
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Emily Fernandez
Posted on:  April 17, 2002 at 15:17:15

Question:

: We're taking our 1 yr. old JRT camping for the first time. He is up to date on his shots and flea/tick prevention and shots. Any advice for our first time camper?
: Thanks, Emily

Response:

Hi Emily,
I am just taking a break from readying the camper for our first big outing of the season. There was an article in the most recent RV View about camping with pets too. Seems this is on everyone's mind!

The best tips I can give you are:

1) Keep your dog on a leash. Most campgrounds have leash rules, some even specifying the maximum length of the leash. A dog getting lost is the worst thing that can happen, and imagine how bad it would be for him to get lost in completely unfamiliar surroundings.
2) Pick up after him-- always! Carry at least two poopie bags per person at all times. You never know when the need will hit him, especially with the increased activity and excitement going camping can bring.
3) Don't let him bark a lot, especially after dark. It is easy for these guys to get carried away in protecting our campsites.

Other people will let their dogs run wild and loose. They won't pick up after their dogs (usually the big ones leaving the biggest piles!). You will hear their dogs-- and their kids-- well into the night. They are the reason fewer and fewer establishments are allowing us to bring our pets. Following these rules are very important, as it will show the campground and park management that dogs can be good citizens and there are still responsible owners on the earth. Plus it keeps your dog safe.

It is also a good idea to take along a first-aid kit for you and your pooch. Be sure to include a pair of tick tweezers or alcohol to drown a tick in, should be become attached.

Equip your dog with a tag that lists your home, mobile and veterinarian's telephone numbers, and carry with you the number for the nearest veterinarian should you need to reach him in an emergency.

Most of all... have fun!!!
Heather