Posted by:  Jane Colvin
Posted on:  April 18, 2002 at 21:35:02

In Reply to: Hopping
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Jessica
Posted on:  April 18, 2002 at 20:20:55

Question:

: Hi:
: I have a 2, almost 3 year-old JRT male named Yoda. Ever since he was a puppy we have noticed that he hops, some what like a bunny. He walks "normal" and then his hip gets sore and he kinda hops. When it is really sore he will actually hold up one leg and hop for a bit and then put it down for about 2 steps and then picks it up again. I am not sure why he does it but we are almost postive that it is his hip that hurts. We talked to the vet and they said it would be over $300 to get and x-ray and then, it would be hard to tell, if he had hip dysplasia he would have to have his hip, like removed and have a ball joint formed or take medication all the time which is really expensive as well. We thought that glucosimine condroitent would help out but he doeesn't take it regularly enough to notice if it had an impact. Does anyone know what this might be?

: Thank-you,
: Jessica

Response:

Hi Jessica,

Please go to the medical section of this website and read about legg-perthes disease and luxating patellas. I'm assuming the vet may have checked the patella {knee cap}, but just incase it's worth mentioning. Also, it's very rare for a JRT to get hip dysplasia. Legg Perthes is more common. This can usually be determined by x-rays. A mild case may be able to go untreated, but if it's severe surgery will be needed.

Hope this helps,

Jane Colvin

Additional Reading: Medical