Re: disloyal to owner

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  April 19, 2002 at 21:01:22

In Reply to: disloyal to owner
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Andrea Tuttle
Posted on:  April 18, 2002 at 00:41:25

Question:

: Someone please help me! :) My best friend has a JRT. I have been spending a lot of time with the dog (Mojo), due to the fact that his owner is out of town on work a lot and I dogsit for him. Mojo has been acting more loyal to me than his owner when it is just the three of us. Just tonight, Mojo and his owner were playing fetch with a sock and Mojo ended up biting his owner and then lunging at him and biting him after he was disciplined. My friend called and told me what happened and I went over to their house with some bandages and the dog sat with me, was licking me and acted like my best friend. We are up in arms as to way the dog would lash out like this. Does anyone have advise?????

: Andrea

Response:

Hi Andrea,

Many times dogs will show more loyality to whoever is spending the most time with them. It's a perfectly natural reaction for a dog.

If you are the one spending most of the time with the dog (feeding, playing, taking out) then the dog is going to respond better to you.

The owner of the dog needs to be more proactive in the dog's life. He should be taking Mojo to obedience school and also working the dog between classes.

Also, you don't mention how the dog was disciplined. Always remember, aggression begets aggression with this breed. Many people make the mistake of believing being "firm" with the dog means acting aggressive with it. This is the worst thing you can do. Firm just means consistent, it doesn't mean striking out at the dog, screaming at the dog, etc.

Your friend should make sure not to engage Mojo in any aggressive games. Fetch is one thing, but if this fetch game with the sock ends up in a tug of war game, then this is going to heighten the aggression in the dog.

Regards,
Marie