Re: ehrlichiosis/IMHA

Posted by:  Rick Hemsing
Posted on:  April 30, 2002 at 23:49:39

In Reply to: ehrlichiosis/IMHA
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Julie Hannon
Posted on:  April 30, 2002 at 06:05:21

Question:

: We nearly lost our 6.5 yo Sweet Pea to immune mediated hemolytic anemia... the likely cause is ehrlichiosis from a tick. IMHA came on hard and fast. Please provide on _ehrlichiosis_ somewhere on the JRTCA page so that maybe other terrier owners can avoid the heartache we have been through. It is wicked and can be deadly. And can stay in their system for a very long time, silently growing. Our first clue was her allergic reaction to her annual vaccines (this had never happened before) but my vet discounted it as something that happens sometimes. I never believed that for a minute. We now believe she was fighting ehrlichiosis at that time. That was in November. IMHA came on in April very fast. My advice to others is use a tick control product and know the normal behavior of your dog well. If she/he seems off, do not hesitate. I would appreciate any information posted here from other terrier owners who have been down the same road with success. She is slowly on the way to normal thanks to prednisone, doxycycline and some great immune system building supplements. Thanks.

: Julie Hannon
: in Tallahassee Florida.

Response:

Julie -

I added a new link on the Medical page pointing to a site that discusses this problem.

I agree with you that you should know the normal behavior of your terrier and if you have concerns, discuss them to your vet.

Note: please be aware that a reaction to a vaccine does not mean that your terrier has ehrlichiosis. Some dogs are allergic to the binding protein in the vaccine (one of my terriers is allergic to some vaccinations - but was not when she was a puppy). In any case, discuss all medical conditions with your vet.

Good luck to you and Sweet Pea.

Rick

Additional Reading: Medical