Re: Sleeping in bed

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  May 05, 2002 at 17:53:02

In Reply to: Sleeping in bed
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Evan
Posted on:  May 05, 2002 at 14:53:18

Question:

: I will be getting a JRT in a few weeks, and many of the dog books I have read suggest making your new puppy sleep in a crate or a bed on the floor beside your own bed. Is this really the only or best plan? It is my intention to have the dog sleep on the bed, but only when we are there together. I am getting one as a companion after all. Any suggestions or warnings?

Response:

Dear Evan,

Both of our terriers sleep in bed with us now but they started out in separate crates on either side of the bed. After a month of neither of them waking us at 3:00AM to go potty, they were allowed on the bed and have been there since. Part of waiting that extra month was so that we wouldn't have any "surprises" on the bed. The other part was giving their bodies more time to mature so that when they jumped off the bed, they were less likely to hurt themselves.

House-training and safety is really what using a crate is all about. Whether at night in the bedroom, in the family room while a plumber is fixing a leaky faucet or in the car on the way to the park, the crate is a safe haven for your pet.

I'm providing links to some FAQs regarding crate-training. Good luck and have fun with your pup!

Leslie

Crate Training FAQ, Is Crating Cruel? FAQ