Post Response
[Restricted]

Not Playing while outdoors...

Posted by:  Aileen
Category:   General Training
Posted on:  May 08, 2002 at 14:20:09

Question:

Hello-
I am not sure what category this question falls under.
I am very good about taking my 3 month old puppy out everyday (ever since I got her two weeks ago)to the park for about 1 to 1.5 hours (as i live in an apt she spends this time for outdoor play). But while we are at the park she does anything BUT play.

I try her off leash and she is good, she will follow me around and sniff around alot, choose some sticks and then lay down to chew on them. If I start to walk away from her she will follow. She will run around if I run or jog. I take her toys with me (a ball and a tug rope), but she isn't interested in them.

Now when we get home after the park. She will want to play (which is ok and we do this too). We play fetch in the hallway and in the apt. and i will run around while she chases me.
I just don't understand that for being an outside dog - she isn't much interested in doing much outdoors.

Is this ok, wil she outgrow this and be more interested in being outside? I intend in starting her in puppy classes this weekend and when she is trained enough - agility and maybe some flyball lessons too.

I am just concerned that i won't be able to play fetch or frisbee with her in the park.

thank you-
aileen :)