Re: getting a 3rd jack russell

Posted by:  Judy Churchfield
Posted on:  May 19, 2002 at 18:38:55

In Reply to: getting a 3rd jack russell
Category:   Other
Posted by:  krystal
Posted on:  May 19, 2002 at 16:59:58

Question:

: I had to put my female jack russell to sleep yesterday because of her aggression & biting. She was 4 1/2 years old & this has gone on for that lenghth of time. I tried everything with her from obiedience to dog therapy & prozac. I have just this week been to hospital for stitches. She also attacked my other 2 jack russells - one male - one female. All have been fixed & the other 2 are just happy to be here. I wanted to try to find her a good home - but with her history (it has gotten increasingly worse) that she is a permanant threat. It is killing me even though I know this was the right decision to make. She was my 1st baby & I am having a hard time wanting to even go near my remaining 2 dogs. It's not because I don't love them because that is so far from the truth.

: My question really is - I feel like I need to get another little girl. I do have a boy & girl now - the boy I have had since he was a baby & the other girl I adopted. I just need to get some advice on this. It is extremely emotional for me & I wanted to know which is better to get with 2 other jack russells?? I would prefer another girl. HELP!!

Response:

Hi Krystal,

I think it would be best if you would hold off on getting another Jack Russell until you work through the grieving process. I know through experience that while you might have the desire to replace your dear departed pet, you'll need time to grieve & reflect before being able to welcome a new JR (with open heart) into your home.

I'm puzzled as to why you're having a hard time wanting to go near your remaining two dogs. They're just innocent bystanders and are most likely in need of comfort. Give them lots of hugs - and I'm sure they'll return the favor.

Best,
Judy