Re: gets bored at obedience class

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  May 21, 2002 at 15:00:03

In Reply to: gets bored at obedience class
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Lisa
Posted on:  May 16, 2002 at 07:29:31

Question:

: I have just completed my second training class of six with my 8 month old neutered boy. He seems good to begin with then seems to get bored and would rather sit down and look around than listen to me. It is food orientated clicker training and he loves his treats but again seems to get bored with them. The class is for 1 hour 15 mins do you think that this is too long for his attention span?

: He has also developed a growling problem when playing with dogs younger than him. He is fine with older dogs and does not growl at all it is only when playing with pups. His tail is still wagging and he is not hurting them as they come back for more when he stops playing but I would be mortified if he bit another dog. My trainer thinks that it is because he has learned to play rough with my neighbours two neutered male staffs and to stop him playing with them. But he loves them to death and plays nice with them and never growls infact he is submissive with most older dogs. Please help.!!!!!!!!!

Response:

Hi Lisa,

It's very common for dogs in training to hit a plateau so your pup is just acting normal. I would have to say the class does sound a bit long even for a mature dog, but am glad to see you are getting your money's worth lol! You will have to think of a few new "tricks" of your own to get your boy focused again. That can be anything from some new taste treat to maybe bringing a small squeaky toy. You might also want to try training him to do a few simple tricks to mix things up. Please talk with your trainer for other methods/ideas for getting your boy refocused.

As far as playing with younger dogs and growling, I wouldn't worry too much about the growling aspect. Many dogs will growl during playing, you should hear my two when they decide to play-fight, you would swear they were killing each other!

The best thing to do is just always keep a watchful eye. You will know it things are starting to get out of hand and that's when to put a halt to the play. My guys are 6 & 7 years old and I still keep an eye on them when the do mock-battle.

Only you know your dog and what his threshold is before playing becomes out of hand. If you start to become uncomfortable, then it's time to put a stop to the play sessions.

Regards,
Marie