• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page





Post Response
[Restricted]

Re: Bee Stings

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  May 23, 2002 at 16:08:28

In Reply to: Bee Stings
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Patricia Hettick
Posted on:  May 23, 2002 at 11:25:35

Question:

: Hello, I searched for "Bee Sting" on the web site and could not find exactly what I was looking for. My question is about bee stings. My 10 month old JRT, Bella, decided to go after a bee in the back yard. I was yelling at her to stop but she got really close to the bee (one of those fuzzy big ones). I am not sure if it stung her, she did not yelp or act like she did. I was worried, though, and waited for 45 minutes to go to work. I did not notice any swelling in this amount of time and I looked in her mouth and did not notice any swelling there, either.

: Would I know definitively if she got stung? I would think she would make a sound and possibly shake her head if she got stung. I gave her a hard treat right after and she had no problem chewing it.

: If my dog does get stung, how long does it take for swelling or other signs of a sting? I know I need to take her to the vet, but what if we are hiking and a vet is an hour away?

: Thanks for your advice!

: Patricia


Response:

Hi Patricia,

When I was a kid we had a miniature poodle that used to attack and eat those big fat bumble bees with impunity. She never once got stung...go figure!

Insect stings can go either way, just like they can with humans. Some dogs can get stung and only get a small amount of swelling. Others can go into anaphalatic (sp) shock, meaning they are allergic to the venom.

If your dog gets stung and only shows signs of just some minor swelling, there are several "remedies" you can use. One of them is a baking soda paste (just add a small amount of water to some baking soda to make a paste) that you can apply to the swollen area.

Other home remedies are meat tenderizer (you add some water to make a paste) and milk of magnesia.

You can apply these remedies to the area several times a day.

But, if your dog shows any weakness after an insect bite it's critical you get your dog to the vet ASAP.

If your dog gets stung and swelling starts to appear about a later chances are all you will need to do is make a home remedy. If major swelling starts within several minutes (2-5) then it's necessary to get your dog to a vet right away.

Many dogs get stung on the nose and face because they usually are sniffing things. So it should be pretty easy to spot the swelling.

Hope this helps answer your questions!
Marie