Re: Need help with details of training come command

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  May 28, 2002 at 22:19:08

In Reply to: Re: Need help with details of training come command
Category:   
Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  May 28, 2002 at 22:11:28

Question:

: : I own a 1yr and 2months old female JRT. I have read some of the FAQ on the come command, but still don't have the details I need to train properly. Each one mentions about the 6 foot lead first and then progress to 15 foot lead. If she does not come when called first time, do I make correction with lead and try again - or do I pick her up and put her in a crate for a time out -how long is time out - and when do I proceed again. Thank you for your time.

:
Response:

: Hi Carol,

: It's great that you are trying to teach your terrier one of the most important commands they can learn!

: No "time outs" are needed for training a command. What you need to do is give the command in your happiest voice and if she doesn't immediately come to you, slowly "reel her in" and then praise her when she gets to you! You can even give her a small treat and tell her what a good girl she is. Most dogs will naturally respond to just a happy, upbeat voice.

: The KEY to the come command is to NEVER, ever call your dog to you to do something that they perceive as "bad." This could be anything from punishing it for a misdeed to giving it a bath (if it doesn't like baths). This is a very common mistake people make and then they wonder why they can't get a good "come" command with their dog. If you need to do something you know your dog is going to perceive as unpleasant you are much better off going to the dog and getting them then using the command.

: You want your dog to always associate the "COME" command with something pleasant. You can start by giving treats and as your dog gets more proficient in the command you can start backing off of the treats but not entirely. This will help to keep your dog fresh, because it won't know just when the treat will be given. There are going to be times you don't have a treat on hand and you will need to call your dog to you, by alternating treats with just praise you should be able to wean your dog off of just looking strictly for the treat.

: Remember to keep your training sessions brief please. No more than 5-10 minutes a session. If you are in a bad mood, postpone your session until you can be more upbeat. Always try to end your session on a positive note. This helps to set your dog up for success. If at the end of your session, your dog has not completed that particular command successfully, give it a command you know it will do to end your session on a good note. This helps to build a dog's confidence.

: Good Luck!
: Marie

Response:

Oops! Two more things!

I made a typo on an important matter and it's important to correct it. I typed "If you need to do something you know your dog is going to perceive as unpleasant you are much better off going to the dog and getting them then using the command."

It should read "If you need to do something you know your dog is going to perceive as unpleasant you are much better off going to the dog and getting them THAN using the command."

Also make sure to do training of the "COME" command using a flat buckle collar.

Regards,
Marie