• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Why the personality change only in class?

Posted by:  Judy
Category:   General Training
Posted on:  June 06, 2002 at 20:02:37

Question:

My 7 month old JRT and I just finished our puppy kindergarten classes (8 weeks). It was a frustrating experience for both of us! She was the only JRT (lots of labs and other large dogs). She loved all the dogs and was very distracted by them most of the time. One of the trainers brought in (at the 6th week) a prong collar for her to wear. We tried it and after that everything just got worse. She basically didn't want to do anything in the class. Also, the entire time she spent in the class (one hour each week) she was panting heavily and her ears were always back. She is never like this at home or even at the JRTCA trials we've taken her to. We practiced with her every day and she did very well at home, at the park, in front of other people, etc., but whenever she got to that class, it was like she had a mental block or something. We're going to start another basic obedience class in July at a different facility, however, I just wanted to know if anyone has a logical explanation for this behaviour and if so, is there something we can do to help it. Thanks.