Re: Anal Sacs

Posted by:  Judy Churchfield
Posted on:  June 15, 2002 at 13:18:45

In Reply to: Anal Sacs
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Theo
Posted on:  June 15, 2002 at 12:44:54

Question:

: This is more a helpful hint to some than a question. I do a weekly physical on my dog, checking every inch of his body for whatever, ticks, fleas, cuts, anything! I make expressing his anal sacs a part of this exam. OK OK I realize this isnt going to be for everyone BUT I do it because I love my buddy, want his best health, and comfort. Touching a dogs anus isnt nasty or disgusting, thats a human reaction! And yes I admit the smell isnt the greatest, but after working in a hospital for 10 years, I smelled "people" smells 100X worse almost everyday. Its an easy easy proceedure, takes around 60 seconds once you get the hang of it, the dog doesnt mind, and you save money! Next time you go to the vet just ask them to show you how, they will be glad to. I realize this isnt for everyone and I certainly dont do it for fun, I do it because I love my JRT and want his utmost comfort and health!

Response:

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your helpful hint! Like you said, most vets are more than willing to explain how to do it (if needed)- and it's an easy procedure. Upon reflection, it's certainly no worse than changing a baby's diaper...which is done out of love too.

Best,
Judy