• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Re: Growling-A Worry or normal?

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  June 18, 2002 at 08:00:50

In Reply to: Growling-A Worry or normal?
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Lisa
Posted on:  June 18, 2002 at 03:45:34

Question:

: Firstly my 9 month old little man has passed his basic training and has a lovely award for the best behaved. We are going on to intermidate level very soon. I have a question that I hope you can help as it is a bit worrying. When my guy comes across a bosterious dog he gets very growly when playing. The noise is herendous and he wants to get the other dog held down this is mostly with playfull pups and inparticular my neighbours 5 month old JRT female. They have to be parted which is a shame. However he is really good with older dogs. All his playmates in the park are 6 years upwards and not a growl in sight. We met 2 10 year old JRT X Border terriers (Bitches) on a forest walk he ran up to them and they showed their teeth so he backed off and just wandered around with them sniffing the ground and did not try to play with them again-so he understands dog talk and is fine. Why is he so intollerent with youngsters bearing in mind he is one himself!!.

Response:

Hi Lisa,

Sounds like you are on the right track in raising your JRT to be a good canine citizen, congratulations!

All I can tell you is this, when my two JRTs start to play together and they get in one of their "wrestling" matches, you would think that they were killing each other with all the growling, yelping and vocalization that goes on!

This can be a very mouthy and vocal breed sometimes. Only you can distinguish between "play growling" and actual aggression growling. If you suspect it is play growling then there should be no reason to separate the two. That being said it is still wise to keep an eye on them, as I do mine. My two have been together for years and have had mock battles but one never knows when a JRT might perceive an action by their play partner to not be so playful so always make sure to monitor this type of activity so you can separate them if it gets out of hand.

Regards,
Marie