Re: Ears, Eyes, Nails & Coat

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  June 22, 2002 at 23:29:00

In Reply to: Ears, Eyes, Nails & Coat
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Annissa
Posted on:  June 22, 2002 at 17:23:21

Question:

: Hello I have a few questions concerning my 12-week year old Jack Russell whom I have just purchased.

: 1)How would I got about cleaning my Jack Russell's eyes and ears? And how frequently
: 2)Can I clip my Jack Russell's nail myself or should I get a groomer to do that for me? Also when would be the appropriate time to clip his nails, and how frequently.
: 3)Should I strip my Jack Russell and how do I do this?
: 4)What brush is the best for a smooth coat, and should I be brushing him everyday?
: 5)If you have any other suggestions for me about taking care of my Jack Russell, could you please post that as well. I am a first time owner as well.

: Thank you for your time, consideration and help.

: Hope to hear from you soon,
: Annissa

Response:

Dear Annissa,

Congratulations on your new pup! Grooming is an important part of being a pet owner as it allows you to get to know your terrier's body so you are more apt to notice any changes.

(1) and (2) -- Learning how to correctly, and safely, clean your terrier's eyes and ears and how to clip his nails is best taught in person. I suggest you call your vet's clinic and tell them that you would like to be shown how to properly do the above; they should also have the correct products. As to the frequency of these tasks -- terriers do not regularly need to have their eyes or ears cleaned and their toenails should be clipped when necessary. Again, your vet or a technician can show you what is "too long" for toenails. :-)

(3) and (4) -- If your terrier is a smooth coat, there is no need to strip him. The best brush is a curry or bristle type which collects the hair and stimulates the skin. I brush my terriers once a week and whenever they've gotten particularly dirty from rolling around in the yard.

(5) I have several suggestions for you: first, take your terrier to a training class; learning how to properly train him, the bond that comes from that training and the socialization he will get with other humans and canines is invaluable. Secondly, please neuter your terrier; he will benefit both physically and behaviorally from the surgery. And lastly, take advantage of the information available on this Forum; use our search engine and read the Daily Digest and the FAQs. I'm providing links to some FAQs to get you started.

Best of luck with your new pup and thank you for wanting to start off on the right "paw" with him. :-)

Leslie

Housebreaking FAQ, Crate Training FAQ, Nipping FAQ, Recommended Books FAQ, History of the Jack Russell