Re: getting along with other dogs

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  June 23, 2002 at 01:37:39

In Reply to: getting along with other dogs
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Sandy Orlandini
Posted on:  June 20, 2002 at 21:23:48

Question:

: I love my JR Terrier, Katey, but I do have a problem. My boyfriend has 2 Lab mix dogs which I have introduced to Katey many times. I always end up bringing her back home. She hangs off of the dogs ears and bites them on the lips. She will not stop. It will go on for hours. The Labs are very mellow and try to tolerate her, but after awhile, especially the female lab starts getting very upset. Katey does not tire and will not leave them alone. My boyfriend and I have talked about moving in together, but how can these dogs survive all together. HELP.

Response:

Dear Sandy,

It is your job to put a stop to Katey's misbehavior; the other dogs do not deserve to be harassed for hours. Removing her from the situation is a solution but it does not address the problem.

I suspect that Katey needs an outlet for her energy and suggest that she get her exercise her away from your boyfriend's dogs. I also suggest that you not allow her to harass the other dogs for hours on end. This teaches Katey that it's okay to act this way and if one of the larger dogs decides that "enough is enough" she will most likely lose the fight.

Take care,
Leslie