Re: a bed partner

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  June 30, 2002 at 19:43:38

In Reply to: Re: a bed partner
Category:   
Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  June 30, 2002 at 17:57:14

Question:

: : Hello! I have found your sight to be very useful with the new member of our family. Her name is Ali and she is 8 weeks old. She seems so smart. We love her to death. We are using a crate for training and so far it seems to be working. My question is: will it hurt to let her sleep in bed with my son and just use the crate for when we are not home or just need that break from her? Also, do you think we will need training classes or can most people do that on their own? We are using Purina Puppy Chow food. Is that good enough for her? Thanks and keep up the good work!

:
Response:

Response:

(Oops, sorry about that!)

Hi Peggy,

Congratulations on your newest family member and thank you for kind words about the site. I imagine you'll continue to find it very useful in the future. :-)

Personally, I don't have anything against dogs sleeping in bed with their humans. However, until Ali has shown that she can make it through the night (at least two weeks in a row) without having to go potty, she should remain in her crate. Also, if she is to be your son's bed partner, his room must be 100% puppy proof should Ali decide to go exploring when she should be sleeping! I'm sorry, Peggy, but I can't really tell you when Ali will be able to "hold it" all night. Generally -- and this is only generally -- a 5-6 month old pup has sufficient bladder control to sleep through the night. And a pup this age is less apt to hurt itself by jumping on or off a bed.

Training classes are as much about socialization with other humans and dogs as they are about learning to teach your dog to pay attention and obey commands. JRTs are not anti-social but they can (and will) take their loyal, protective nature too seriously if they are not properly exposed to people/dogs outside of their family. I highly recommend a class that teaches with positive reinforcement; most allow children to attend and observe if not participate (depends upon the age of the child) in the training.

Regarding the food you're giving Ali -- I prefer to buy our terriers' food at a store for pets...not a store where I can also buy a loaf of bread or a set of bath towels. :-) Please refer to the Food FAQ (link below) for more information.

Again, congratulations on your new family member!

Regards,
Leslie

Additional Reading: Food/Bones/Allergies FAQ