Re: submissive urination

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  August 01, 2002 at 23:27:19

In Reply to: submissive urination
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  Lisa
Posted on:  August 01, 2002 at 20:49:51

Question:

: I am at my wit's end with my 2 1/2 yr old female. The problem is submissive urination. I have tried everything...all the advice on it that I've read. She must have the self-esteem of a turnip. We can't even bend over to pick her up...she'll squat and pee. You can't put a leash on her...squat and pee. You wouldn't believe the rituals we have to go thru when we come home or when we want to take her outside, just to keep her from....squatting and peeing. I also have a 3 yr old male. They get along together great and have been raised together from puppyhood. The thing is the submissivness seems to be getting worse. They are both strictly leashed dogs for 1 1/2 yrs now. I can't let them out anymore because they kept digging out of the fence. They have completely different personalities...the male is very laid back. She is very high-strung with strong hunting instincts, but is very sweet and loving.
: I love her...but am thinking of finding her a good farm home with someone who will hunt her. I think she must be pretty miserable here to feel so submissive. I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel if I have to clean up any more pee I will scream.......

Response:

Dear Lisa,

I appreciate that you've "tried everything" you've read about to deal with submissive urination but I think you missed the part about the importance of owner attitude. And you appear to be a tad confused on how to "physically" deal with a submissive urinator...

Your frustration is understandable but your disgust at her behavior is not. Do you honestly believe that your terrier doesn't know what you think of her when anyone can get the "gist" of your feelings just by reading this post? Why are you even bending over her at all? The correct way to deal with a submissive dog is by approaching it with palms up and UNDER the head...calmly, quietly and without anger.

I agree that you should find her another home if you are unable, or unwilling, to properly deal with your terrier's temperament. When you find that "good farm home with someone who will hunt her" please let me know where it is so I can share the information...

Leslie