Re: Thinking of getting a jrt

Posted by:  Jane McClay
Posted on:  August 02, 2002 at 21:04:59

In Reply to: Thinking of getting a jrt
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Millz
Posted on:  August 02, 2002 at 15:18:57

Question:

: I am thinking of getting a jrt. butI dont have a fenced in yard. I do have a place for him to go to the bathroom and I have a park down the road should I still get a JRT?

Response:

Hi there, Millz,

Unfortunately this is really something we can't answer FOR you. As much as I'd like to say to you "if you don't have a fence, don't get a JRT" I know that you need to decide this for yourself. I can tell you that I don't know what I'd do without my fenced in back yard, and personally, I think it's taking a big chance to get a terrier without a nice, safe enclosure, but there are people out there who are dedicated owners who make it work. It's really a matter of how much you're willing to compensate for the lack of a fenced in area and ultimately, how you can protect your JRT from being harmed, while still offering good exercise.

All that being said, I will not place a dog in a home without a fence, and I know a LOT Of breeders who feel the same way. You may be hard pressed to find a reputable breeder who will allow you to take one of their pups, or a rescue worker who will adopt you a terrier. I read somewhere (and firmly believe it) that the major cause of death in this breed is being hit by a car. I placed one terrier in a home with people who said they had lots of room, no fence, but would be putting one in eventually, and until then, they'd exercise him on a farm a couple miles away. Long story short, the dog was killed by a car a year later, and they never did put that fence in. So it's not a chance I'll take again on someone.

Have you completed the Online Profiler? Jack Russell Profiler. When you indicate that you have no fence, it will offer good advice to help you with your decision.

Jane