Re: Patellar Luxation

Posted by:  Linda Cranford
Posted on:  August 03, 2002 at 16:19:03

In Reply to: Patellar Luxation
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  heidi ifft
Posted on:  August 03, 2002 at 16:01:36

Question:

: i have been to my vet three times in the past two months because my 9 month old is limping (every once in a while it starts for no particular reason) -- it is her right front leg that is giving her trouble. after a full set of x-rays, and two follow-ups, and anti-infammatory doggie pills (vet thought it was torn tissue or a rotator cuff injury)...she still has days when the mysterious limp appears. my vet never mentioned patellar luxation as a possibility. she looked very carefully at the x-rays and said the bone structure was fine. i am wondering if patellar luxation only manifests itself in the hind legs, or if it affects the front legs too. and if so, maybe this is a problem the vet overlooked. any advice would be greatly appreciated. poor gimpy emma!

Response:

Hi Heidi
This type of shoulder injury can take a long time to heal and you should be keeping her as quite as possible. No, patella problems don't affect the front legs and if they did it would have shown up in the exam or x-ray. I had one pull the front shoulder muscle and it took over well two months for it to get back to normal and that was only with rest and crating it did get back to normal.
If you are still unsure you need to take her to a Vet school and/or orthpediest and get a second opinion.

Regards
Linda