Re: weight problem

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  August 13, 2002 at 20:20:02

In Reply to: weight problem
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Dee Beede
Posted on:  August 13, 2002 at 19:24:55

Question:

: We have had our Jack Russell about 3 years. She has a very bad weight problem that I'm not quite sure to do about. I have taken her to the vet and had blood work done on her and it showed no thyroid problem. But she is getting heavier and heavier. I am feeding her an all natural dog food and have had her on a weight control food from the vet but it didn't help. She really doesn't eat a whole lot. Maybe a cup a day. She is spayed if that makes a difference.She weighs about 19 lbs. Can you give me advice on what to do for her? Thanks so much.

Response:

Hi Dee,

If your terrier is not very active, then 1 cup of food a day might be too much.

Get her on a high quality weight control kibble, give her two small meals a day, increase her exercise and don't give her lots of treats! And no feeding from the table!

If you want to give her some treats, get some raw baby carrots. Mine love them and they are low calorie, plus they help to keep their teeth clean.

Spaying and neutering have nothing to do with weight gain. That's an old wive's tale from way back.

If there is nothing medically wrong with your dog then the simple answer is less food, more exercise.

You want the weight loss to be gradual, but if you follow my tips chances are within a few months you will start to see results.

Believe me, a dog is much healthier being slim and trim. It's easier on their joints and heart.

Regards,
Marie