Re: Ways to comfort a broken leg

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  August 20, 2002 at 19:23:35

In Reply to: Ways to comfort a broken leg
Category:   Other
Posted by:  Trish Regan
Posted on:  August 20, 2002 at 14:38:39

Question:

: My JRT Boomer is 8 months old, and just recently broke his front right leg. (He fell off the couch) He has been to see my vet and they put a pin in his bone. They said he should heal fine in 2-3 weeks. My question is, he just can't seem to get comfortable, and seems really distant from me. Is there anything I can do to make him feel better. I love my little guy so much!! Any advice you have will be great.

Response:

Hi Trish,

Tell Boomer we are all hoping he has a speedy recovery, poor pup!

Did your vet prescribe some pain killers? If not you might want to discuss this with him/her.

All you can do at this point is let the little guy figure things out for himself and try to make him as comfortable as possible. He may be giving you the cold shoulder for a couple of reasons, 1) he may be in a little pain, 2) he did have a bit of trauma experiencing the broken leg and then the results of that.

Make sure he has a crate he can spend time in, many dogs use their crates as "home base", as a place to go and feel safe.

My guess is within a day or so he will come around and be looking to you for comfort. When that happens, Boomer is liable to milk it for all it's worth!

Have a few special treats for Boomer and a nice snuggle on the couch while you watch television and I am sure it will go a long way to making him happy.

Best,
Marie