Re: obedience training for an adopted adult dog

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  August 22, 2002 at 18:34:50

In Reply to: obedience training for an adopted adult dog
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  sarah warfield
Posted on:  August 22, 2002 at 09:32:16

Question:

: I found a Jack Russell about a month ago. I live in a college town and am under the assumption that someone dumped him by the side of the road. My vet says he is about 2 years old. Pip is a good dog. He doesn't go to the bathroom inside, is willing to wait at home while I go to my 9-5 job, does not show any signs of aggression towards people or friendly dogs, and obeys simple commands.
: He is overall a great dog, but he does pull on his leash when we go for walks, straining to walk far ahead of me and determining the pace. But I don't mind his behavior because it makes him happy.
: At this point, should I worry about enrolling Pip in obedience school? Is his leash behavior a sign of his dominance that could later become a problem? Couldn't I handle this one on my own? Or should I just let him run around on his leash as much as he wants?

Response:

Hi Sarah,

Thanks from all of us here for adopting this little waif!

Well it sounds like you are doing very well with him. Getting a good heel on this breed will test even the most patient of us lol! It takes lots of practice and then lots more it seems.

Well I am not going to discourage you in taking Pip to obedience school even though he already knows things. Obedience school is not only a great place for him to hone his basic obedience commands, but its a great place to socialize him and a wonderful way of bonding with him.

Many behaviorists and trainers say that leash pulling is a sign of dominance and I will have to defer to their expertise, however I think in many cases with a JRT it's a lot more to do with their enthusiasm than anything else!

There's always a time for proper heeling and a time for letting a dog just have fun, but you should be the one to determine that, not Pip ;)

Cheers to you and Pip!
Marie