Re: Need more info on crate training

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  August 23, 2002 at 10:55:23

In Reply to: Need more info on crate training
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Brison
Posted on:  August 23, 2002 at 09:55:03

Question:

: I have read the importance of crate training but do have additional questions. In my house I have an un-used laundry room (approx 6 ft by 7 ft) with a door. Would this serve as a good place to keep the JR during the day or should I still get a crate? We also thought about putting gates up in the kitchen. These questions come from the fact that my wife and I are both out of the house 7 hours each day during the week and obviously don't want to pen the dog up that long.

Response:

Hi Brison,

I see no reason for you not to put your terrier in a "terrier-proofed" room. It's much nicer for those dogs that have to be left home alone for long hours. The laundry room sounds good but I would put a gate up instead of closing the door on it. The kitchen will also work but make sure that cabinets are locked and dog-proofed, you would be surprised how many of them can open doors and drawers. I have several cabinets with baby-locks on them. :)

You should still provide a crate for your dog and do train it to use it. While your JRT may not need it during the day while you are gone there is always the possibility he/she may have to be crated for various reasons such as illness and recovery, travel etc. It makes life a whole lot easier if your dog will accept the crate.

Regards,
Marie