Re: Hunting Instinct

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  August 27, 2002 at 08:39:24

In Reply to: Hunting Instinct
Category:   Hunting
Posted by:  Lisa
Posted on:  August 27, 2002 at 04:29:50

Question:

: I think that the hunting instinct has kicked into my nearly year old neutered male puddin JRT. He goes mad when we are out on walks looking into every front garden , Hole in the fence and under parked cars chasing squirels up trees and whining madly at them. He goes mad and will not listen to me when I try to stop him pulling he is like a thing possesed. When he is in doors he is fine he is not interested in hurting our cat and submits when she walks past him. I am keeping a close eye on them because of his behaviour outside. Other than this he is the most friendly terrier I have seen and adores kids and adults alike as well as other dogs and goes to higher obiedience training once a week.Am I right in thinking it is his hunting instinct or could there be another problem.

Response:

Hi Lisa,

Well this is about the age when the prey drive kicks in so I think that's probably why he's acting like an idiot when you are out with him! It seems all obedience work goes out the window when they focus on some furry critter lol!

All I can tell you is to try to get him to listen to you but it won't be easy. And you're wise to keep an eye on him and our cat, because you just never know when the relationship can turn nasty.

Good for you to have him in obedience!

Regards,
Marie