Re: hiding in a closet

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  October 09, 2002 at 17:34:23

In Reply to: hiding in a closet
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  nicole mcelvery
Posted on:  October 09, 2002 at 13:52:03

Question:

: my 5 year old spayed female literally lives in the bedroom closet till i return home from work. she is not alone during the day as we have a pet sitter who stays in the house while my husband and i are gone. she knows this individual for many years so he is a familiar human being. he has to fish her out the bedroom closet and carry her outside so she can go to the bathroom, then once finished she runs back upstairs into the closet. she doesn't make a sound all day and you wouldn't know she existed at all. she also lives quite peaceably with our 14 female lab and 4 cats. anyway when i come home she suddenly becomes animated and acts like a typical jack russel, wants to play with her toys etc. my question is "is she depresssed and suffering from separation anxiety?" would she benefit from a vet visit and possible prozac?" i don't want her to be unhappy while i am gone. when my husband comes home 1rst she still is in the closet.

Response:

Dear Nicole,

I know plenty of terriers who spend the day in one spot until their owner comes home; such spots include a window seat, their owners' bed, a particular chair, a favorite dog bed, the laundry basket and yes, the closet. These particular terriers are neither depressed nor anxious -- they are simply "hanging out" in a place they consider safe and very comfortable.

Unless your terrier begins to exhibit destructive behavior -- to herself, your other pets or to your belongings -- I advice that you let her be. I assure you that if your girl was unhappy, she would definitely let you know. :-)

Best,
Leslie