Re: house breaking

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  October 12, 2002 at 14:31:46

In Reply to: house breaking
Category:   House Breaking
Posted by:  Amanda Grose
Posted on:  October 12, 2002 at 08:21:57

Question:

: We have been trying to house break our 7 month old JR puppy. We got her from the pound about 1 month ago. She is very good about not going in the house - other than the occasional accidents. We have been keeping a close eye when she does get to play out of the pen area. She just doesn't seem to give us a signal that she needs to go out, though. She will not go potty in her pen area. She will hold it until we let her out. We want to give her a little bit more freedom, but she doesn't give a signal that she needs to go out. Is there something we are missing or need to be doing?

Response:

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for adopting a terrier in need! Now you have to remember your little girl spent some time in a pound where she didn't have to worry about where she did her business.

Many dogs only give very subtle signs of when they need to go. It can be something as simple as just sniffing the ground a little more than usual, or seeming a bit more restless.

I have 2 terriers that are total opposites, one will go to the door and the other one, well we just make sure they get out on a regular basis.

The best thing you can do is establish a potty routine. Once you do this your pup will start to, as Oprah used to say, "get with the program." ;)

I am lucky to be able to be home so my dogs go out 1st thing in the morning, then around noon, then late afternoon, early evening and one more time before bed. This routine is subject to some change if one of the dog's is sick and needs to go out more.

Really study your pup and see what subtle signs she might be giving you.

Regards,
Marie