Re: JRT nips at our baby

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  October 12, 2002 at 23:19:01

In Reply to: JRT nips at our baby
Category:   Aggression
Posted by:  Jeff Floyd
Posted on:  October 12, 2002 at 11:40:02

Question:

: We have a 3 yr old JRT named Shelby. We have had her since 6 wks old. My wife and I had a baby girl that is now 10 mos old. About 3 months after the baby was born Shelby was diagnosed with Addisons disease. She does fine on her medication but now that the baby is crawling around Shelby seems scared of her and has nipped at her twice but did not touch her. She just kind of growled and ran away. She also tries to attack other dogs, mostly smaller ones. Our vet recommended obedience training. Does this sound like a good idea or should we get rid of her?

Response:

Dear Jeff,

I absolutely agree with your vet; please take Shelby to a training class as soon as possible. It's important to understand that training isn't just about teaching commands -- it is also about providing structure and hence, security, for a dog.

Shelby's been through many changes in her young life in the last 10 months. First the baby arrives, then she becomes ill (glad to hear she's doing fine) and now the baby is crawling... I'm not surprised Shelby is feeling unsure and confused about what's going on in her household.

I highly recommend that whoever spends the most time with Shelby and your daughter be the one who takes her to class. As new parents, I realize you guys don't have much free time (!) but classes are usually only a hour a week for 6-8 weeks. You won't be sorry you found the time for Shelby.

Best,
Leslie