• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Crate Training Pains

Posted by:  Frank
Category:   General Training
Posted on:  October 23, 2002 at 18:37:36

Question:

First let me say that the advice I have receivved from this site, the FAQs and the Forum especially, has been invaluable. What a resource!

I am the new owner of our first JRT, Tonka. He is 11 weeks old, and my wife and I are crate training him. We started his first night home.

The problem is two fold: 1) He cries and whines and barks when he first goes into the crate. At night this carries on for about 5 minutes before he settles down and falls asleep. I think he just wants to be with us because he loves to watch us do EVERYTHING: cook, laundry, dishes, even baths! Tonka is also very cuddly and nearly dies if he can't catch a nap on your lap in the evenings. 2) He still won't sleep through the night. We go to bed at about 11:00pm, and get up at 7:00ish. I usually need to get him out to pee at least once, sometimes twice a night. He whines in the crate and wakes me up to take him out. I never play with him in the middle of the night, it's strictly BUSINESS. If I could get him to stop crying, I would feel better because I want him to be comfortable in his little crate. If he would sleep all night, I would feel more like going to work in the morning so I can afford to feed him... hmmmm is it all about me?

Tonka is crated while we are at work for about 8 hours a day, including two 1 hour breaks where one of us, or a firend ccome over for some vigourous play. he is never crated for longer than 3.5 hours, except at night.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give a complete description fo the issues. Thanks so much, and we love our JRT!