Re: Crate Training Pains

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  October 23, 2002 at 20:48:31

In Reply to: Crate Training Pains
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Frank
Posted on:  October 23, 2002 at 18:37:36

Question:

: First let me say that the advice I have receivved from this site, the FAQs and the Forum especially, has been invaluable. What a resource!

: I am the new owner of our first JRT, Tonka. He is 11 weeks old, and my wife and I are crate training him. We started his first night home.

: The problem is two fold: 1) He cries and whines and barks when he first goes into the crate. At night this carries on for about 5 minutes before he settles down and falls asleep. I think he just wants to be with us because he loves to watch us do EVERYTHING: cook, laundry, dishes, even baths! Tonka is also very cuddly and nearly dies if he can't catch a nap on your lap in the evenings. 2) He still won't sleep through the night. We go to bed at about 11:00pm, and get up at 7:00ish. I usually need to get him out to pee at least once, sometimes twice a night. He whines in the crate and wakes me up to take him out. I never play with him in the middle of the night, it's strictly BUSINESS. If I could get him to stop crying, I would feel better because I want him to be comfortable in his little crate. If he would sleep all night, I would feel more like going to work in the morning so I can afford to feed him... hmmmm is it all about me?

: Tonka is crated while we are at work for about 8 hours a day, including two 1 hour breaks where one of us, or a firend ccome over for some vigourous play. he is never crated for longer than 3.5 hours, except at night.

: Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give a complete description fo the issues. Thanks so much, and we love our JRT!

Response:

Dear Frank,

Thank you for your kind words; it's wonderful to hear that new owners are taking advantage of the information of this site. :-)

(1) Of course Tonka wants to be with you guys; you are his "family" now so he looks to you for companionship, sustenance and guidance. You are on the right track with crate training him (applause, applause!) and suggest you consider crating him when you're at home as well. I know it's difficult to not cuddle/snuggle with a pup after you've been gone all day but if he's only in his crate when you're not home (or asleep), he will learn to equate his crate with being alone...and that's not what the crate should represent.

(2) At only 11 weeks of age, your little guy is not physically able to "hold it" all night; you are absolutely correct to keep these potty breaks strictly business. By having his crate next to your bed, you can easily determine if he's "fussing" because he's lonely (he stops whining at your touch) or because he really needs to go potty.

Again, you are on the right track with crate training...your patience and consistency will pay off. Hang in there, we're rooting for you!

Best,
Leslie