Re: Leg amputation?

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  November 20, 2002 at 10:31:26

In Reply to: Leg amputation?
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Val
Posted on:  November 20, 2002 at 08:53:00

Question:

: My beautiful Jessie was hit by a car 2 nights ago and she's been hospitalized with a 'degloving injury' of her front left leg. Fortunately, she does not have any internal injuries, no head nor spine injuries. The vet has told us that the leg prognosis is not very good. She will need at least 2 months to recover from the tissue damage and after that she would need her ankle/paw bones fused. Even after all that it is no guarantee that the leg would function. Another option the vet mentioned is amputating the leg. It would minimize the painful recovery with scenario #1 and the risk of infection (since there is no skin left in the area).
: Before any of you judge me that I should have been more careful, I am completely devastated. I can't stop crying, I am seriosly depressed. I got her from a shelter several months ago hoping to give her another chance, and this is the way it ended..

: I would appriciate any advice about JRTs with one leg amputated, has anyone had an experience like this?

: Thank you for your time and help.

Response:

Hi Val,

Nobody is going to beat you up over this, you are already in enough pain.

All I can tell you is from what I see when watching "Emergency Vets" on Animal Planet. It looks to me that all the amputees I have seen have done fabulous after recuperation. They all act like they have all four legs.

Personally if I were in this situation I would go with the amputation if it's more hopeful.

And if any of our readers have had experience with this type of operation with their dogs we will be more than happy to post responses.

On behalf of all of us here, we wish you and your beloved terrier the best.

Regards,
Marie