Re: Whining

Posted by:  Leslie Hemsing
Posted on:  December 20, 2002 at 22:05:11

In Reply to: Whining
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Julia Kim
Posted on:  December 20, 2002 at 13:30:10

Question:

: i am a new mother of a six week old jack russell terrier named oliver. i brought him home yesterday and am trying to train him immediately. i anticipated that he would not be happy being in the crate overnight. this morning as he was eating, he was whining while he was eating. maybe it's just because i'm tired but...i notice he whines a lot. is this normal? will he always be like this?

Response:

Dear Julia,

I don't see Oliver's whining as just a case of unhappiness in a crate or even "new home" behavior. At only 6 weeks of age, Oliver was too young to be taken from his mother/siblings so he is neither physically nor emotionally equipped to deal with the change in his life.

Please have Oliver examined by a vet as soon as possible; his whining may be due to a medical problem. And please take advantage of our search engine to read more about the behavior issues associated with getting a pup before it is old enough to leave it's mother/siblings. Knowing what to expect can help you head off the problems before they occur.

FYI -- in most states, it is illegal to sell a pup before it is 8 weeks old. I hope you'll report Oliver's breeder to your local animal control office.

Good luck,
Leslie