Re: Obedience Training

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 12, 2003 at 08:38:29

In Reply to: Obedience Training
Category:   General Training
Posted by:  Robert Heitner
Posted on:  February 12, 2003 at 08:01:34

Question:

: Hi. I recently got a 1 - 2yr old JRT and have read many of the posts on this board about getting them obedience training. However I was told by my vet as well as the local training center that JRT's can be very difficult (&costly) to train. Does anyone have any personal experience with a JRT who has had obedience training? Does it work? Oh, sorry 1 more thing, I heard if you get them trained as a pup, no problem, but as an adult (such as mine), that's where the difficulty is. I want to get him trained as he needs to learn to stop when I tell him to or he'll end up being run over by a car (he bolts out the door as soon as it's opened and into the street). We of course try hard to make sure he doesn't get out, but he is extremely fast and all it takes is 1 time and the worst case scenerio can come true. My daughter and I love our Jack but he needs trained, badly.

: Your thoughts?

Response:

Hi Robert,

My thoughts about JRTs being difficult/costly to train, well that's just plain hogwash.

They are no more difficult to train than any other breed. The key to success in training your terrier is your commitment to doing daily work with your dog.

Many people make the mistake of taking a class and just doing the class and NOT the homework between classes. That's where this "JRTs are difficult to train" idea comes about.

I took my rescue to his first obedience class at the ripe age of 5 years old. By the time the 8 week course was over he was one of the stars of the class! He has since gone on to learn agility and we will be going back for more obedience work this year.

I would suggest though if your dog isn't neutered to do that. That will help to keep him from wanting to roam and lessens territorial aggression. In short, you will have a much better pet that is more focused on you than on other matters.

So, find a good trainer, make a commitment to working your dog every day (this only takes 15-20 minutes a day broken into mini-sessions) and you will reap big rewards.

BTW, I still work Brody every day. It keeps his skills sharp and its fun for him too.

Regards,
Marie

P.S. I am providing a link to our State Reps. Find the one closest to you and see if they can recommend a good trainer.

Additional Reading: JRTCA State Representatives