• Forum Menu
• Daily Digest
• Home Page

Post Response
[Restricted]

Re: Good when he has attention, bad when not...

Posted by:  Marie Evans
Posted on:  February 14, 2003 at 09:30:40

In Reply to: Good when he has attention, bad when not...
Category:   Behavior Problems
Posted by:  James
Posted on:  February 14, 2003 at 01:02:02

Question:

: I just adopted my JRT about a month ago for a adaption program. He was doing great when we first got him, he rarely used the bathroom inside and did not mess with anything, even while we were gone. Now he tends to go to the bathroom in the house, at the door, if we arent paying attention. It almost seems like he knows better, but doesnt let us know he has to go. This week he has started being distructive if we arent playing with him, he is chewing shoes and clothes, tonight we were gone for about 4 hours and he absoultly tore the living room apart, we had been letting him have free range because he was being good. What could be causing this, and how do we stop it? I would like for him to be able to run free without being locked up, and he was doing so well. As soon as we walked in he was very excited to see us, until we walked out of the foyer into the living room, then he ran and hid.

Response:

Hi James,

Thank you for adopting a terrier in need!

Well it sounds to me like your guy is "settling in" to his new surroundings, now he is comfortable and now you are seeing what the previous owners did with this dog ... which appears to be nothing.

It is going to be up to you to re-train this dog James. He will need to go back to Housebreaking 101 which means getting him on a feeding/potty schedule, accompanying him outside (on lead please) to be there to encourage him and praise him when he goes (he must equate outside with potty duties).

You will need to start to crate train him and not let him have free run of the house unsupervised. This goes for his potty stuff and chewing habits.

If you cannot watch him, crate him or thether him to you so you can make the necessary corrections when he attempts unacceptable behavior.

Now is also a great time to enroll in a basic obedience class with him. Not only will he learn what is needed of him but you two will build a closer bond.

Remember too, this is a high-energy breed that needs a lot of exercise, especially if you aren't home a lot. There is no way for them to release this pent up energy, and usually what happens if not exercised enough is destructive behavior.

James, these rescues can turn into wonderful dogs if given a good chance. My rescue went from a little snarling, hating the world bag of bones, to a ribbon winning performance dog but most importantly one of the funniest, smartest, most loving and delightful dogs I have ever known. I always call our rescues diamonds in the rough because most of them are just that, with some work and showing your dog what is expected of him, the chances are good you will have one of those dogs that you can't imagine what life was like without him.

Also, don't hesitate to contact your Rescue Rep and ask for some tips or help. They all want their adoptions to be successful and are willing to lend a hand if you need it.

Warm regards,
Marie