Re: underbite

Posted by:  Sue Zeiher
Posted on:  February 15, 2003 at 07:43:25

In Reply to: underbite
Category:   Medical
Posted by:  Shelly
Posted on:  February 13, 2003 at 14:36:52

Question:

: Hi, I've been reading all the questions on this site and I think its a great place to learn new things. I asked a question earlier about my jrt losing his hearing. I'm trying to find a vet around me that can do the proper testing. I have another question. How did one of my pups end up with a underbite when neither parent have one? I've bred to the same male each time. If I were to breed her, would her pups come out this way? I will have her spayed, but I just wondered where it came from. My dog has had 3 litters, 8 pups all together, and only one with the underbite. Where we live, some people find that appealing. I would rather have my dogs with a proper bite so they do not have trouble later in life. Thank you, Shelly.

Response:

Hi Shelly,

If you were to breed this dog there is a good chance that her pups would have the same jaw problem. It can also happen again if you repeat the breeding with your adult dogs. When you find uneducated people who find this trait "appealing" it is your job to inform them of the health problems that can be associated with a bad bite.

Best,
Sue